I love to watch food network on Saturday mornings, and a few months ago I was inspired by Molly Yeh’s pizza episode. She used a big ass cast iron pan and I have a big ass cast-iron pan that I have been looking to use.
- 9 oz fresh spinach
- Olive oil (at least 6 Tbsp)
- 28oz frozen whole wheat pizza dough
- 2 garlic cloves
- 8 oz part skim shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
Prior to preheating or cooking anything, if you purchased store bought dough follow instructions to thaw or bring to room temp.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit, I have a convection oven but I used regular bake 475
- Place 14-15 inch cast iron pan in oven to pre-heat with oven
- Melt butter in separate pan on stovetop with 1 tsp olive oil
- Add garlic cloves until fragrant
- Add milk
- Mix in flour, pepper, oregano
- Stir until thick, so all flour is incorporated, then place in container and set aside until ready to put on pizza dough
- Roll out dough until 1/4 inch thick. For the pack of dough I purchased, I used about 2/3 for the pizza and had enough leftover for a calzone
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 crushed garlic cloves to the stove top pan. Add cleaned spinach and cook until completely wilted.
- Once the oven is preheated, carefully take-out cast iron pan and carefully add 2 tbsp of olive oil. I like to brush mine around to make sure the inside has a good coat
- Carefully lay rolled out dough inside the pan, if the circle of dough goes over the edges, bunch around inside edges of the pan to create a traditional crust.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil to the middle of the dough and brush evenly across, and on the crust edge
- Add all of the sauce on top of the pizza dough
- Using tongs evenly place cooked spinach on top of the white sauce
- Evenly distribute the bag of cheese
- Bake for 14-16 minutes, I took mine out after the cheese bubbled and got slightly brown on top.
- Rest for 3-5 minutes, cut and enjoy!
Let me know if you tried the recipe.