I recently have found myself with an abundance of bananas at the end of the past few weekends. For me, they are a staple every time I grocery shop because they are an easy “to-go” fruit since I am allergic to apples which are usually a top choice for those who don’t have this Snow White allergy.
Due to my limited on the go fruit options, sometimes I get sick and tired of eating bananas 3-5 times a week-hence the abundance of ripe bananas on Sundays.
So being the want to be baker I am, I go into auto pilot and start making banana bread for my co-workers and Greg’s staff. I have made this recipe so many times I almost don’t need to look at it any more-but I do ever since the salt muffin incident of 2013.
I most recently made these the week of Halloween, and chopped up a dozen or so reeses peanut butter cups and layered them in the middle of the batter. My co-worker ate some of the banana bread after I badgered her to, and said ” its what we call in the south-You stuck your foot in it” and now my banana bread has a name!
Below is the easy and delicious recipe and instructions:
- 2 1/2 cups flour-(AP or wheat)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 sticks of butter (1 cup)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups ripe mashed bananas (6-ish bananas)
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup-nuts of your choice (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Grease and flour 2 8x4x3 loaf pans.
- Mix flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl
- In a bowl or mixer (speed 2) combine eggs, bananas, room temp butter,sugar and vanilla.
- Add nuts and/or chocolate chips if you are including those (highly recommended!)
- Incorporate dry mixture, stirring 1/4 at a time until fully mixed.
- Pour into the 2 loaf pans.
- Bake 50-60 minutes middle rack, or until a toothpick comes out clean of the middle, or only with a few crumbs on it (if its still jiggly-keep it in for 5 minute intervals, the top does get brown).
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and let cool on a cooling rack until completely cool.